Re: BD-R DL burning from ISO

Hi,

firstly:
Your trouble has nothing to do with image content.
You may burn what you want as long as it fits into
the number of 2048 blocks, which the medium offers.

It might be that GUI frontends are still not ready
for BD media. The halfways modern backends (growisofs,
cdrecord, libburn) support them.

I helped to beef up xfburn version 0.5.2 so that
it accepts BD media and makes use of the according
libburn capabilities.

On the command line there are:

  dvd+rw-format /dev/sr0
  growisofs -Z /dev/sr0="$HOME"/my_image.udf

or

  growisofs -use-the-force-luke=spare:none -Z /dev/sr0="$HOME"/my_image.udf

or

  cdrecord -v dev=/dev/sr0 "$HOME"/my_image.udf

or

  cdrskin -v dev=/dev/sr0 "$HOME"/my_image.udf

or

  xorriso -as cdrecord -v dev=/dev/sr0 "$HOME"/my_image.udf

The drive address is assumed as /dev/sr0 here.
You may get a list of accessible optical drives by

  xorriso -devices

which might say something like

  0  -dev '/dev/sr0' rwrw-- :  'TSSTcorp' 'CDDVDW SH-S203B'
  1  -dev '/dev/sr1' rwrw-- :  'HL-DT-ST' 'BD-RE BH16NS40'

(I.e. i'd better use /dev/sr1 for BD burning.)

If you want full nominal speed on formatted BD, use
cdrskin or xorriso -as cdrecord option
   stream_recording=on
No checkreading and no bad block replacement will happen
then.

If you want formatted BD-R (for slow checkreading):

  dvd+rw-format /dev/sr0

or

  cdrskin -v dev=/dev/sr0 blank=format_defectmgt

or

  xorriso -outdev /dev/sr0 -format as_needed

These will get you the default size. There are options to
vary the formatted size, too.

> I'm trying to understand where is the problem and should this be
> submitted as a bug report or a feature request and to whom.

The problem seems with k3b.

> Couldn't some program simply read raw data in the ISO image and then
> burn it to a media bit by bit, or things just don't work that way?

Well, we have to send data in chunks of at least 2048
bytes, better of 64 KiB. The communications protocol
between burn (backend) program and drive is defined
in SCSI/MMC. BD are mentioned since MMC revision 5.

> It is also stated on
> dvd+rw-tools' web page that growisofs depends on cdrtools, namely
> mkisofs,

Only on mkisofs, not on cdrecord.
growisofs is its own burn backend.
Hard to surpass with DVD and with only a little
flaw about automatic formatting of BD-R. (Above
examples work around it.)

> I speculate that in this case I don't need mkisofs because
> I already have (UDF 2.5) file system in the image and I'm "merely"
> trying to burn it on a BD-R DL disk. Right?

Yes.

> K3b claims that it supports Blu-ray

Then your problem should be considered a bug.
At least if you manage to burn by any of the above
command line examples.

> who gets the job done and how? :S

Choose one of the programs mentioned above.
The command liners have nearly no dependencies.
xfburn might drag in half of Xfce.
(I can offer a frontend demo named xorriso-tcltk
  http://www.gnu.org/software/xorriso/xorriso-tcltk-screen.gif
which depends only on Tcl/Tk.)