Re: Problem with growisofs -- cannot write multisession DVDs without ejecting and reloading tray

Hi,

> > The new session adds a new superblock,

> I was thinking that the entire DVD had one
> superblock at the beginning, and that couldn't be right, because how would
> it get updated?

This is the situation with overwritable media:
DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, BD-RE, formatted DVD-RW, formatted CD-RW,
data files, Linux block devices.

The new session gets written like with sequential media
(CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, BD-R, unformatted DVD-RW)
but the superblock at block offset 0 gets overwritten to
lead the mounters to the youngest session.
xorriso by default creates the superblock of the first
session at offset 32 and a copy at offset 0. This way
the superblock at offset 32 survives the updates at
offset 0 when more sessions get burned.

> I am trying to figure out if I can close a DVD without writing a new file to
> it.

Interesting use case. I don't think that my stuff can do
this. But i dimly remember that growisofs ...
man 1 growisofs, EXAMPLES:

"To finalize the multi-session DVD maintaining maximum compatibility:
    growisofs -M /dev/dvd=/dev/zero
"
(I never tried this.)

> xorriso -dev /dev/sr1 -status short

Command -status will tell you the current settings of various
xorriso commands, but nearly nothing about the medium state.

The info about the number of sessions is put out on stderr
after a drive was aquired by -dev, -indev, or -outdev.

  $ xorriso -outdev /dev/sr2  2>&1 | grep '^Media summary:'
  Media summary: 129 sessions, 8597504 data blocks, 16.4g data, 7074m free

The command -toc puts out the line "Media summary:", too.
Its output goes to stdout. Its line "Media blocks :" gives
exact sizes counted in units of 2048 bytes.

  $ toc=$(xorriso -outdev /dev/sr2 -toc 2>/dev/null)
  $ echo "$toc" | grep '^Media blocks :'
  Media blocks : 8597504 readable , 3621888 writable , 12219392 overall
  $ echo "$toc" | grep '^Media summary:'
  Media summary: 129 sessions, 8597504 data blocks, 16.4g data, 7074m free

> is there a way to get the number of session
> left for the medium?  Short of manually subtracting the number of sessions
> on the disk from 99, that is.

Not yet. The numbers 99 and 153 are theoretical values.
The real number of remaining sessions depends on the size of
those sessions and on the gaps between sessions.

With BD-R there is no limit announced in the MMC specs.
My oldest BD burner can put more than 300 on the medium
before it fails quite miserably. My younger ones throw
error after about 120 to 140 sessions. (I am awaiting the
refusal of my current backup BD-R every day.)
For professional purposes i would impose a limit of 100
sessions and then just begin with a new medium.