Re: BD-R burn errors

Hi,

> I did attempt to format the BD-R last night.  No
> good.  It would not attempt it.  The program would run and then terminate.

"The" BD-R sounds like you tried to format the already written BD-R.
That won't work.

The workaround has to be applied to the unused BD-R _before_
K3b resp. growisofs get to see it.

Background:

BD-R can be used unformatted (which yields high write speed) or
formatted (which by default causes checkreading and bad block
replacement).
If they shall be formatted, then this must be done before any
writing.

growisofs prefers to format them automatically, unless option
  -use-the-force-luke=spare:none
is used.

But it remembers to have seen an unformatted BD-R and thus
tries to close its track when all the writing is done.
Since it was formatted meanwhile, this final command is
righteously rejected by the drive, and has no effect on the
medium.
Nevertheless, clueless growisofs thinks that the track could
not be closed, issues an error message, and ends with a
non-zero exit value.

If you submit to growisofs an already formatted, yet blank medium,
then it will not format it and it will know at the end of burning
that the medium needs no close track command.

Distro packagers should apply my little fix, which lets growisofs
notice that it just converted the unformatted BD-R into a formatted
one. Then it would skip over the bad command and all would be well.

> I was able to verify the BD-R media that was reported as an error.

That's what to expect (and good to know, after all).