Re: Issues brining BD disks from the command line - write failures

On Thu 09 May 2013 19:01:12 NZST +1200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:

> This happens only with CDs which were written in write type TAO.

Ehh, I'm very sure I've seen it with DVDs too, and the read-ahead size
there was larger.

> Nevertheless, that is a _read_ problem. Dale has a problem with
> write errors.

Sure, but you asked him to test afterwards by reading back.

> The read-ahead bug has never been observed with
> DVD or BD, anyway.

I have to disagree for DVD, and can't speak for BD, not having tried it.

> To my experience, 128 KB is enough. Tradition is 300 KB, out of
> a wrong perception of Linux bug and MMC specs.
> Actually it depends on the size of reading ahead. So it might vary.

I got so sick of it, I set the value in my script to 2MB to be done with
it. I know it's too big, but I don't care.

> > And what are the options for UDF (which is becoming increasingly
> > necessary)?
>
> mkudffs and cp.
>
> But for what, particularly ?

Random-file-access backups. TBH I stopped burning because 4.2GB isn't of
much use these days, but wouldn't mind burning some larger disks. I used
ext2 in the past, useless for reading from, but good enough for dd'ing
back to disk before reading. With larger sizes that becomes a bit
annoying.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Volker

--