Re: 2-session DVD: Windows show old content & Linux show new?

Hi,

> Using xorriso to burn DVD the second time (without -multi, a.k.a.
> there is no 3rd session). The image is created using genisoimage -C (but not
> using -M, a.k.a. the old and new content are not related).
> The burnt DVD - with Linux (gnome), new content is mounted. With Windows XP,
> old content is mounted and show.
> [...]
> $ dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/sr0
> [...]
>  Mounted Media:         11h, DVD-R Sequential
> [...]
> READ DISC INFORMATION:
>  Disc status:           complete
>  Number of Sessions:    2
>  State of Last Session: complete
>  Number of Tracks:      2
> READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
>  Track State:           complete incremental
>  Track Start Address:   0*2KB
>  Free Blocks:           0*2KB
>  Track Size:            1029200*2KB
>  Last Recorded Address: 1029193*2KB
> READ TRACK INFORMATION[#2]:
>  Track State:           complete incremental
>  Track Start Address:   1067104*2KB
>  Free Blocks:           0*2KB
>  Track Size:            1161376*2KB
>  Last Recorded Address: 2228479*2KB
> FABRICATED TOC:
>  Track#1  :             14@0
>  Track#2  :             14@1067104
>  Track#AA :             17@2228480

This looks ok. DVD-R, closed, two sessions. The operating system has the
choice. For an ISO 9660 filesystem it would read either block 16 (session 1)
or block 1067120 (session 2) and then dive into the respective filesystem
tree.

> 1. Did I do anything wrong? Or does Windows/Linux handle session
>    display differently?

The non-relation of first and second session should make no
difference for the choice of session by the reader.

Did you do anything to let session 1 appear more attractive to MS-Windows ?
Like giving it a Joliet tree by genisoimage -J ... (just a wild guess).

> 2. If I can reliably reproduce this issue, wouldn't that be a way to
> prepare different content for Windows/Linux?

Before you rely on that, you should first try to find out what is the
officially intended behavior of MS-Windows in this case. (I failed to
find an answer by Google.)