Re: growisofs failing on some iso files

Hi Thomas,

thanks for the detailed reply.

On 04/06/2012 05:25 PM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
The DVD specs do not prescribe that a DVD DAO session has to be aligned
to 16 blocks.

Regarding the alignment I observe growisofs always writes 16 blocks chunks, even the last one, no matter if the original iso was aligned to 16 blocks or not. So it always align data currently if speaking about burned data, not speaking about reserving track. If I understand it correctly, that's wrong behavior and the last chunk should be shorter. Right?

But on the other hand, if we are all right with growisofs writing aligned sized data, it should also reserve aligned track for that data, since otherwise it would write to in-reserved space. In this case the patch from the previous post should work well.

Btw. I've verified this behavior with -use-the-force-luke=tracksize:N option, which resulted to successful burning when specified aligned tracksize and using un-patched build.

"NO SENSE:
 Indicates that there is no specific sense key information to be reported.
 This may occur for a successful command or for a command that receives
 CHECK CONDITION status because one of the FILEMARK, EOM, or ILI bits is
 set to one."

No MMC drive is supposed to emit the "Descriptor" format. But the Linux
kernel has been caught to confuse cdrecord by this format.
Google for "Sense Bytes: 72". These are in "Descriptor" format.
In contrast to "Sense Bytes: 70" which are in "Fixed" format.

This doesn't seem to be the case, the sense bytes look like as follows:
70 0 2 0 0 0 0 a 0 0 0 0 4 7 0 0 0 0

Couldn't this be the case of EOM (End-of-Medium)? Then it'd make sense to me, because growisofs reserves blocks count corresponding to iso file size, but writes a few blocks more.

It would be interesting to see whether current versions of my programs
cdrskin and xorriso would do better in this situation.

cdrsking works fine with the same iso.

Cheers,

Honza