Re: growisofs 7.1: problem past first layer on BD-R DL

Hi,

> trying to write BD-R DL for the first time.
> [...]
>  $ growisofs -use-the-force-luke=spare:none -speed=4 \
>        -Z /dev/br <genisoimage-options-here...>
> [...]
>      50.09% done, estimate finish Mon Sep 10 00:43:45 2012
>    :-[ WRITE@LBA=ba7410h failed with SK=5h/INVALID ADDRESS FOR WRITE]:
> Invalid argument
> [...]
> The error happens after exactly half the capacity plus one
> single 32 KiB block.  The stop point, in 2 KiB block terms:
>    0xba7410 == 12219408 == 24438784 / 2 + 16

So it looks that for some reason the drive refuses to write to the
second layer.
I can spot in growisofs_mmc.cpp that DVD+R DL get an explicit layer
break position. But this seems not to be true for BD-R DL.
(Especially since BD-R DL have the same profile code as BD-R,
 unlike with DVD+R and DVD+R DL which differ. So growisofs is
 likely to treat both BD-R types exactly the same.)

Regrettably i cannot affort to do own BD-R DL tests.

> (I haven't any BD-RE DL, so the next thing is to try cdrskin,

We'll see what happens then. (I am not overly optimistic.)

> or removing -use-the-force-luke=spare:none)

This would format the blank medium before writing. I have drives and
BD-R media which work together only unformatted. Maybe it is vice
versa with your drive and media: only formatted.
(Equivalent with cdrskin would be option
   blank=format_if_needed
 cdrskin does not format BD-R by default.
)

My own problems were with LTH media (aka organic dye).
I cannot spot in the web, whether VERBAT/IMf can be LTH.
But if your media or their sales box show the the letters "LTH",
then you should try to purchase non-LTH for the next test.

>     INQUIRY:                [PIONEER ][BD-RW   BDR-206D][1.56]

Well, i had a BDR-205 for about 9 months until it went bad
with BD-R in general. In the beginning it wrote to LTH BD-R,
then it spoiled those, later it spoiled non-LTH BD-R too.
I could return it to the merchant and got a Optiarc BD RW BD-5300S
in exchange. This one can write a few sessions to LTH before it
finally spoils them. No problems with non-LTH media.
(I also got an older LG BD-RE GGW-H20L which is fine but flatly
 refuses on LTH media.)

Given the prices of BD burners and BD-R DL, it might be
smart to buy a cheap new burner if blank BD-R DL media are left
after the next round of experiments.
(The Optiarc burner was sold for 60 Euro ~= 80 USD.)

Please keep me informed about any new insight which you gain
about the BD-R DL problem.