BD-RE - can't create UDF on new disc

Further to my earlier problems, I broke down and bought some new discs to try out - in case there was something wrong with the earlier batch. No such luck. Here's what I got when I tried to format one of them:

root@transponder:/home/garydale# dvd+rw-format -format /dev/sr0
* BD/DVD±RW/-RAM format utility by <appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 7.1.
* 25.0GB BD media detected.
* formatting 59.5%
root@transponder:/home/garydale# mkudffs /dev/sr0
Error opening device: Read-only file system

After the initial ability to format the BD-RE (at least to the 59.5% mark), subsequent attempts yield:

root@transponder:/home/garydale# dvd+rw-format -format /dev/sr0
* BD/DVD±RW/-RAM format utility by <appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 7.1.
* 24.2GB BD media detected.
* formatting 0.0%:-[ FORMAT UNIT failed with SK=5h/INVALID FIELD IN PARAMETER LIST]: Input/output error

Any ideas?