Re: are there CD-RWs that not suitable for burning music?

Hi,

khufu@139.com wrote:
> Hi. Today I purchased CD-RW in order to try before burn audio CD.
> It is "TDK Life on Record" "High Speed" 700MB CD-RW and have a bold
> line on the back:
> "This CD-RW disc cannot be recorded using CD-RW recorder units for
> music recording."

I guess this refers to the refusal of oldfashioned audio CD
recorders to write CD media which are not specially marked for
such use.
It is said to be only a small piece of pre-recorded information
and is not related to any special physical property of the media.
The german nick name "GEMA Bit" refers to an institution which
collects in-advance copy fees from sellers of recorders and
blank music media.

If you use a normal CD recorder for computers and not a fancy
living room audio device, then there should be no technical need
to use the expensice CD media for audio recording.
Depending on local laws, it might be somewhat more legal if you put
copyrighted music on the expensive ones.

Gene Cumm wrote:
> I believe it's primarily a burner compatibility issue.  I have several
> High Speed CD-RWs and all of my drives refuse to burn them at less
> than 8x.  Some of my drives that are 8x compatible (or so I thought)
> can't burn these.

This is supposed to be a separate issue.
When the 12x CD burners came up, the old "1x-2x" media did not work
with them. Vice versa the old "1x" to "4x" burners could not use
the new "4x-12x" media.
DVD writers usually burn "4x-12x" CD-RW at 10x and 8x. They ignore orders
to use other speeds.
Newer DVD writers refuse on "2x-4x" CD-RW.