Re: Cryptic error message from xorriso

Hi,

I wrote:
> TS > The trigger is that growisofs opens the drive device file O_RDONLY
Hans Beekhuizen:
> For me you're speaking Chinese now! I know too little of the
> working of cd/dvd working to really understand this.

It is about the way how growisofs operates its "mkisofs" servant,
not so much about DVD peculiarities.
There would have been no problem if xorrisofs had opened the drive's
device file by itself. But growisofs opens that file and gives its
slave the opened file handle. And that handle is read-only.

Of course, xorrisofs has to comply to the habits of growisofs.
I killed this compliance by mistake, recently.

> TS > I seems that the mkisofs emulation command continued despite the
> TS > FATAL event.

> Naughty...

The FATAL event turned out to be a mistake, too. The drive
should not have been used for reading after it was falsly classified
as write-only.
But that bug saved you from silently losing the old session's data on
your DVD.

I now replaced it by a check against growisofs trying to load an old
session from allegedly blank media. Just in case the bug comes back.

> I'm glad they really were problems, and not some
> stupidity on my site.

Even then it is always helpful to see how others cope with xorriso.
If it lures the user into making mistakes then that is a kind of bug too.