Re: Cryptic error message from xorriso

Hi,

I wrote:
> libburn : FATAL : Read attempt on write-only drive
> Drive current: -indev 'stdio:/dev/fd/3'
> I will now examine why libburn believes that file descriptor 3
> leads to a file that is not readable. That descriptor is handed
> over by growisofs.)

The trigger is that growisofs opens the drive device file O_RDONLY
and that libburn either expects O_WRONLY or O_RDWR. Up to version 1.0.0
the growisofs files were assumed to be O_RDWR without much examination.

So there is a conceptual problem with libburn's idea of a decent
POSIX replacement of a burner drive. I will have to enhance libburn
by a new pseudo drive class that resembles CD-ROM, rather than DVD+RW
or blank DVD+R.

There have been other bug fixes in the last days. So it seems best to
strive for a quick next release rather than a patch level release.
For that release i will consider O_RDONLY file descriptors as
readable and writeable pseudo drives.
I will need a few days to get those fixes stable enough.

As for a short term remedy:

If you do not want to go back to xorriso-1.0.0 for the time being,
and if you are on Linux, FreeBSD, or Solaris, then you may leave out
growisofs and use xorriso's own burn capabilities:

  xorriso -dev /dev/hdc -as mkisofs -R -J -V Daily Daily *.Monday.*

This is like growisofs -M.
For growisofs -Z perform -blank "as_needed" before -as "mkisofs"
  xorriso -dev /dev/hdc -blank as_needed \
          -as mkisofs -R -J -V Daily Daily *.Monday.*