Re: New tool for packing files into an ISO image

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 14:17:47 +0100
Thomas Schmitt wrote:

> Hi,

> > BitBucket wrote:
> > > What would be an 'old' tool for packing files into an ISO image that
> > > you were improving upon?  Looking for Windows GUI-based tools here,
> > >  to pack offloads onto DVDs.
> > As far as I know, there is no old tool for doing this.
>
> Meanwhile 12 years old is my scdbackup.

Didn't come across that in my googling. I'll be sure to add
a pointer to it in my references.

> This leaves me with the question, how the user learns about those
> groups which did not make it yet and would be candidates for the
> next ISO image in the next medium.

Sounds like a candidate for a new option to output a file containing
the original input path-list with the packed files removed and
only the unpacked files left as a starting point for the next
packing. The way I was planning to use it was just to get some
files off my disk and onto backup, so I tend to write the files
that fit, then (after verifying the backup) remove the ones on
the hard disk that made it onto the media (which I can tell by
doing an ls on the mounted media :-). By the time I've filled
up my disk again, I have a new starting point anyway. But if
someone wanted to backup several disks worth at once, such an
option could definitely be handy.

> Another question i have, is how you predict the exact size of an
> ISO 9660 image with Rock Ridge. It is not impossible but depends
> on the internals of the ISO 9660 generator program.
> So in principle one can only trust the -print-size result with the
> whole tree of files which would be candidates for the image.

I do indeed run mkisofs to get what it claims the exact size
will be when I have a new candidate for best packing during
the search. So I'm counting on -print-size to be the
accurate number.

> The sizes on the web page look ok.
> Maybe you could add some re-usable ones:
>    2295104     12 cm DVD+RW
>    2297888     12 cm DVD-RW formatted (profile 0x13)
>    2298496     12 cm DVD-RW not formatted (profile 0x14)
>   11826176     12 cm BD-RE single layer, default format
>   12219392     12 cm BD-RE single layer, formatted to 0 spare blocks

I was coming at this from the point of view of backing up files
and keeping them stashed somewhere, so I didn't think it likely
anyone would be using rewritable media, but I don't guess it would
hurt anything to add them to the list anyway.

Thanks for the info and comments!