[OT] DVD read maximum at 3.5x, is this normal?

Hello. I am a hardware newbie.

I am actually pretty surprised my IDE-wired DVD writer can only reach avarage of 4MBytes/s when I try to make iso file out of my DVDs by using 'dd' (tried various block sizes and settled down with 20480bytes which seems to be fastest for me). And, it takes 100% system resource to do that. The machine is Athon 64 3000+ thus I guess only 3 years old. If this is the case, any burning DVD beyond 2X is a joke.

I cannot imagine any boundary hardware implied, except IDE bandwidth which is much more than 4MBytes/s. Besides the CPU doesn't have to be that busy, I guess 100% CPU can get me 40MBytes/s if I where to read hard disk.

Since I have 14 DVDs to make iso file from, current speed require me to change every 20min, then I would spend a whole working day changing the DVDs. I hope I can get a 10min/change or 5min/change frequency so I can do the job in half a day. Is it possible?

Thanks.