OT: about cheap DVD+R DLs

 On 10/30/2010 02:09 PM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> That's suspiciously cheap.
> Life would be boring without such adventures. :))

I drop by local consumer electronic market and found this ANV
2USD-per-10-pack DVD+R DL is the only DVD DL product available, so much
to the extent that some retailers are not aware of existence of other
DVD DL products and think DVD DL = ANV (as if thinking OS = Microsoft
Windows). If I want to get better products averaged at 2USD-per-disco, I
have to buy it online. "Bad money drives out good" happened in this
market segment. I guess this ANV product is of bad quality, because
later I found one in my office, used last year, and its data cannot be
read now (input/output error for most files in it). This leads me to
think there are consumer quality products and archive quality products,
former is for the exploding pirate movie market in Beijing, where latter
for rarer personal use. It would be good if there is a tool in Linux
that can actually measure quality of burnt DVD so I know what I can
choose for personal archiving.

It also leads me to worry about the DVD driver quality, since the same
misfortune happened in disco market can happen on the driver market. I
could have purchased a consumer grade USB optical driver and intend to
use it in business scenario. However I don't know of a reliable source
of knowledge on driver quality. Is there a hint? e.g. would it have a
higher chance of high-quality if it happen to have a firewire plug?
Simply buying the most expensive product isn't the best clue because
here expensive things tends to offer more consumer features instead of
improved reliability.

P.S. Your original question if wodim -multi breaks things will be
answered in a few days when my previously ordered pack of empty DVD+R DL
arrived.