Re: growisofs doesnt check available space when using defect management on Blu-ray?

Hi,

>  Track Size:            12088320*2KB

The end is indeed at b87400h, the address where WRITE failed.
So your theory is right. growisofs did not coordinate size request
and formatting size.

> Note that I did a scratching test on this disk after it turned out to be
> a coaster, so I'm not sure how correct is that info. :)

The table-of-content info is located in a thin ring near the center
of the disc. I assume that it is covered by checksums as are the
data sectors.
I do believe above output, because it matches the other symptom so nicely.

> I'll report the k3b bug then. Not sure where to report the growisofs bug
> though.

This list would be the place for growisofs.

> I guess I'll disable the defect management, since it's taking way
> too much time anyway (average write speed 1.7x (1 hour for a disk)
> even though I told it to use 8x).

Wow. You have 8x media and burner ? That would be about 35 MB/s.
I happily live with 2x with BD-R and 2.3x with BD-RE. And that only if
if i omit Defect Management.

With Defect management the speed penalty of LG burners seems to be about
1x speed for BD-R and about 0.75x with BD-RE.
Stunningly my burner can write 2x BD-RE with about 2.3x if i tell
it to work quick-n-dirty. BD-R then run with 2.0x.

> I'd use xorriso, but if I'm not mistaken it doesn't support UDF yet, right?
> (I could prepare an image beforehand, but it's somewhat impractical
> do to so each time).

You would have to produce UDF by help of mkisofs and then use xorriso or
cdrskin for burning the image. It is well possible to put both together
in a pipeline.
First session:
  mkisofs ...usual options ... but not option -o ... | \
  cdrskin -v dev=/dev/sr0 -multi -eject -
Further sessions:
  m=$(cdrskin dev=/dev/sr0 -msinfo)
  mkisofs -M /dev/sr0 -C $m ...usual options, no -o ... | \
  cdrskin -v dev=/dev/sr0 -waiti -multi -eject -

You may add to cdrskin the option
  stream_recording=on
which disables BD Defect Management even on formatted media.

Similar as cdrskin works the xorriso cdrecord emulation:
  ... | xorriso -as cdrecord ...above cdrskin options...

But i am not sure yet whether both currently handle the size check and
the mandatory automatic formatting of BD-RE correctly.

Both do not automatically format BD-R media. That would have to be
ordered by option
  blank=format_defectmgt
or one of its specialized neighbors, like blank=format_defectmgt_min .