Re: growisofs fail to burn second session: why and how to solve?

 On 10/23/2010 03:05 AM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> 1st session: burnt successfully.
> How many bytes is it supposed to contain ?

almustafa@orphalese:~$ ls -l /var/tmp/DVD+R/1st_session.iso
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1663696896 2010-10-19 10:23 /var/tmp/DVD+R/1st_session.iso

> What happens if you treat a fresh DVD+R DL by growisofs only ?

I had tried growisofs first, before using wodim, and end up with an
erorr message that leads me to think growisofs cannot handle DVD+R the
same way it cannot handle DVD-R[1]. I'll try it again next time in the
office and post that error message here.

[1] I tried to prefer wodim especially after I fought 3 hours just to
figure out growisofs have problem with DVD-R. See my comment on

The bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dvd+rw-tools/+bug/311297
My comment:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dvd+rw-tools/+bug/311297/comments/7
(OT: It is wired why not launchpad designed to use URI like
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dvd+rw-tools/+bug/311297#comment7
)

Reading so much about growisofs' incompatibility with DVD-R DL and
wodim's incompatibility with DVD+R DL I cannot help wonder why the two
tools don't says so in their output or mention them in their manual (I
did RTFM. growisofs manual for example didn't mention about DL and says
it work with both DVD+R and DVD-R). There are 3 levels:

   1. A tool work out-of-the-box.
   2. A tool work if you follow the manual.
   3. A tool work if you happen to be the person who made it.
   4. A tool doesn't work.

I had the impression our tool at the moment is at level 3.... :-(

Thanks for your time to help!