Re: Announcing cdrskin-0.7.6

"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> > Just a hint, there is libscg and libscg still is the only generic SCSI
> > transport lib that grants true portability.
>
> Interesting proposal.
> I got cdrtools-2.01.01a64. Where would i learn
> about the API for

Writing portable software requires thinking in a portable way.
It seems that your questions are a result of thinking the wrong way:

> - Listing drives by their OS device file paths,

Not possible with most OS. Most OS do not have something like
a "device path".

> - Aquiring and releasing drives,

An interesting idea....
You develop on Linux and you should know that this does not even
work on Linux because the people who work on software that claims
such features are not interested in a working solution. The related
software on Linux is a nightmare but not usable. I tried to get in
contact with the related people to no avail.

> - Obtaining Bus,Lun,Target from device file path,

See above: Most OS do not have a "device file path"

> - Transporting an SCSI CDB plus eventual payload
>   to an aquired drive and retrieving of eventual
>   payload and sense reply from the drive.

This and much more is very simple if you have some basic SCSI skills.
Just have a look at cdrecord. Everything you need is in a few basic
functions.

> Does libscg get installed system-wide ?
> Resp. how should an application link to it ?
> (Assume that it uses a autotools generated
>  empire of ./configure and make.)

If you believe that you have problems with the way you use
./configure and make, you seem to use the wrong build system.
I encourage you to upgrade to the schily makefile system.

> What license would we create from our GPLv2 and
> your cdrtools license when linking our stuff ?

The GPLv2 permits GPLv2 programs to link against and to use any external
independent library under any license. so where do you see a problem?

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)