Re: Wodim: How to read from stdin?

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

> This is a limitation of cdrecord and programs derived from it. The
> growisofs program knows how to do this for DVD but can not do it for CD
> (one of my problems). In your case you can know the size of the image in
> advance because you have it. In fact, I wonder why you don't just burn
> it direct.

Growisofs does not write in SAO mode, this is the reason why it can do things
that do not work the easy way on SAO mode.

> In my case I have a data stream of 400-500MB which I wish to burn to CD,
> but because I can't know the size in advance and don't wish to save it
> for reasons I won't detail, I am forced to use growisofs and DVD for
> these little data sets.

You are of course not forced to use growisofs. Cdrecord will work for you too
if you use it the right way... there is e.g. the -stream-media-size size
option for mkisofs and there are plenty of other methods.

> Mr Schilling noted that there seems a way to do this in some modes, but
> he provides no information on it. He's probably right that it could be
> done, but doesn't want ot say how for whatever reason.

Sorry, but this is nonsense. The way it can be done is obvious to anyone
with some basic skills in CD/DVD/BD writing. The reason why it is not yet
implemented in cdrecord is just that there are many more important things to do
and that it would not work on all 30+ platforms that cdrecord supports.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)