Re: growisofs doesn't check available space when using defect management on Blu-ray?

Hello,

> What do you get from
>  dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/sr0
> with the failed media already loaded in the drive ?
> Interesting would be the number in output line
>  Track Size:        ......*2KB
> b87400h is 12088320 decimal.

-------------------------------------
dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/sr0
INQUIRY:                [PIONEER ][BD-RW   BDR-205 ][1.09]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
 Mounted Media:         41h, BD-R SRM+POW
 Media ID:              TDKBLD/RBB
.... (speed stuff snipped) ....
POW RESOURCES INFORMATION:
 Remaining Replacements:16843040
 Remaining Map Entries: 0
 Remaining Updates:     0
READ DISC INFORMATION:
 Disc status:           appendable
 Number of Sessions:    1
 State of Last Session: incomplete
 "Next" Track:          1
 Number of Tracks:      1
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
 Track State:           partial incremental
 Track Start Address:   0*2KB
 Free Blocks:           0*2KB
 Track Size:            12088320*2KB
FABRICATED TOC:
 Track#1  :             14@0
 Track#AA :             14@12088320
 Multi-session Info:    #1@0
READ CAPACITY:          12088320*2048=24756879360
-------------------------------------

Note that I did a scratching test on this disk after it turned out to be
a coaster, so I'm not sure how correct is that info. :)

>> Note that Nero under windows was able to write them (to a similar disk),
>> but didn't use any defect management.
>> Also, both k3b and Nero showed the remaining space as ~200 MB, k3b
>> apparently not taking into account the 250MB growisofs reserves.
>> So, my question is, why didn't growisofs detect that the files + reserved space
>> wouldn't fit to the media? Is this a bug?

> Seems so. Probably shortcommings in both, k3b and growisofs.

I'll report the k3b bug then. Not sure where to report the growisofs bug
though.

> If k3b is supposed to do own size checks, then it would either have to
> format the media (e.g. via dvd+rw-format) before inquiring its capacity
> or it should use growisofs option
>  -use-the-force-luke=spare:none

I don't normally use k3b, I just use my scripts for invoking growisofs.
I guess I'll disable the defect management, since it's taking way
too much time anyway (average write speed 1.7x (1 hour for a disk)
even though I told it to use 8x).

I'd use xorriso, but if I'm not mistaken it doesn't support UDF yet, right?
(I could prepare an image beforehand, but it's somewhat impractical
do to so each time).

Thanks for your help,
Alexander