Re: growisoimage burnt a CD that cannot be mounted unless specify iso9660 as filesystem

Hi,

it looks your problem is rather with program genisoimage and UDF.
Also it is about Linux mount which seems not to fall back to ISO 9660
if the UDF aspect of an ISO/UDF hybrid image is indigestible.

> I burn a new DVD session using dvd+rw-tools
> 7.1-6 (kernel 2.6.23), and output seems to show it is successful.

The outcome with multi-session may differ depending on the exact media type.

> Mounted Media:          1Bh, DVD+R

So the problem is not about growisofs multi-session emulation on DVD+RW or
similar media.

You have four tracks (resp. sessions).
An operating system should be interested in track #4 by default.

> [ 8476.095409] UDF-fs: No partition found (1)

The address complained by mount matches track/session 4:

> [ 9396.597282] udf: bad mount option "sbsector=1963264" or missing value
>      READ TRACK INFORMATION[#4]:
>       Track Start Address:   1963264*2KB

So there is no misunderstanding about tracks and start addresses.
growisofs seems to have done its work correctly as far as it is in charge.

Well, your operating system tries to mount as UDF.

Whether UDF works properly with multi-session depends much on the image
producing program. growisofs used:
> genisoimage 1.1.10 (Linux)

> growisofs -M /dev/sr1 -old-root / -iso-level 2 -J -v -speed 1
>           -V MS_OFFICE_2007_CHS -volset DBXYD-TF477-46YM4-W74MH-6YDQ8 .
> Executing 'genisoimage -C 1960688,1963264 ...
> I guess the reason might be, that the previous session of the DVD
> might have been burned with UDF.
> if a DVD previous session had been UDF, that new sessions should, as well?

If genisoimage can handle UDF multi-session then it might be needed to
give -udf with every session. On the other hand, if it is ready, then it
should also be able to detect UDF in the existing image.

The contribution of growisofs to this run of genisoimage is
  -C 1960688,1963264
It gives the start addresses of old session 3 and upcomming session 4.
Both addresses match the dvd+rw-mediinfo output which was obviously made
after this run.
So again, growisofs did it right.

> how do I tell if there had been a UDF session in the past sessions?

Maybe the shell command "file" can find out.
Like:
  file /dev/sr1

I have no UDF media at hand. So i cannot try.