Re: Announcing xorriso-0.4.0

Hi,

me:
> > Within libisofs and xorriso it behaved plausible
> > and stable in my tests.
Joerg Schilling:
> What does this prove?

That xorriso can record and restore hardlinks
and that its incremental backup feature can
recognize and properly record hardlink changes.

> Solaris in
> August 2006. Did you test against this implementation?

Not yet. It is not easy to get a Solaris
account where one may mount ISO images.

> cp does not have a -a option.

man cp on Linux:

       -a, --archive
              same as -dpPR
       -d     same as --no-dereference --preserve=link
       -P, --no-dereference
              never follow symbolic links
       -p     same as --preserve=mode,ownership,timestamps
       --preserve[=ATTR_LIST]
              preserve   the   specified   attributes   (default:  mode,owner-
              ship,timestamps), if possible additional attributes: links, xat-
              trs, all
       -R, -r, --recursive
              copy directories recursively

> ACL method that was withdrawn 10 years ago.

It is the method present in current Linux
(since quite some time).
AAIP offers enough free room to adopt other
concepts.

> Why don't you just use mkisofs that has a correct implementation?

Because mkisofs cannot restore what it recorded
in order to verify that it worked.

I found an LKML thread
  http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/10/18/236
where an attempt was made to implement PX inode
number reading. But that patch obviously did not
make it into the current 2.6 kernels.

> You have been inspired by star and mkisofs that use libfind since many
> years.

The idea to have an option -find stems from my
user experience with shell command find.

The idea to have an own backup grade ISO 9660
filesystem formatter stems from my 10 years
with mkisofs. At some point i had enough of its
restrictions and thanks to Vreixo's libisofs i
could start to implement what i deem appropriate.

The idea of a libfind is new to me.

> The last time I checked your source, the -find implementation was not even
> remotely close to the find(1) POSIX standard.

That should not be a surprise after reading
in man xorriso

       -find iso_rr_path [test [op] [test ...]] [-exec action [params]] --
              A restricted substitute for shell command find in the ISO image.
              It performs an action on  matching  file  objects  at  or  below
              iso_rr_path.

> why don't you use
> different options that clearly show the incompatibility?

Is it about that since you were thrown out of the
Linux distros you introduced an own option "-find"
in mkisofs ?
Ah sorry, it does not show up in "man mkisofs" of
Linux. One has to dig it out of a cdrtools tarfile.

And no, i would not have refrained from using the
name "-find" even if i had known of yours.