is my drive defect - request for comments

Hi,

I have a brand new drive (LG GH22NS30) and I'm encountering
problems with cdrecord.
E.g. I get
cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  2A 00 FF FF FF 6A 00 00 1F 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 2A 00 00 80 30 05 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x30 Qual 0x05 (cannot write medium - incompatible format) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)

Since this occurs even with a Verbatim medium,
Jörg has been so kind to help me, and suggested the -raw96r format.
This did succeed but when testing this CD afterwards with readcd
or xorriso, it showed a lot of errors.

Then using cdrskin with a medium of the same packet (Verbatim)
succeeded and in addition xorriso should good results.

Now, how can I find out if my drive is OK. It's not too late
to exchange it for free.
Has someone else had bad experience with that drive.
I had good experience with earlier LG drives.

(And yes, I'm working on Linux and there is hald running,
but the nearly broken medium was written after hald was stopped.)

Many thanks for your comments,
Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch