Re: cdrecord floating point exception

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

Joerg Schilling wrote:
If a burner does not like some media, cdrecord usually prints a related SCSI
error message. There was no such message in the log send to this list.

Parker Jones wrote:
Track 01:    0 of 4391 MB written.Errno: 5 (Input/output error),
write_g1 scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1F 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 30 10 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x30 Qual 0x10 (medium not formatted) Fru 0x0

Although this is from wodim the report is
obviously about an SCSI error and i would
bet it stems from a 1:1 copy of your code.

I still believe that there is some other problem like e.g. "hald":

hald can make CD/DVD burns fail. But hardly
DVD+RW. On overwriteables you can freely
mix read and write operations.
I do not believe that hald interrupts background
formatting.
I would also expect from the specs that DVD+R
and BD-R can stand hald interference. Both are
allowed to have more than one logical track open
and you hardly can manage them without intermediate
inquiry commands.

After system startup i kill the processes named
hald-addon-storage. They are the ones on my
SuSE 10.2 which quite reliably spoild CD-RW burns.

I cannot agree to the opinion that a _modern_
Linux system could not live without hald. It is
about the playfulness of the user interface
and the incapacitation of its user.

There is no doubt that a system can run without hald, if you assume that the administrator is willing to do the same things by hand, and the user understands how to do all the things which hald typically does. And if you are comfortable with the idea that some of these things will require root access. :-(

For some special system used only by someone trusted and capable who's time has no value (I find the mix of "time has no value" and "trusted and capable" unlikely), of course you could run that way, Other than as a proof of concept I can't believe that would ever by useful compared with either using applications which understand hald or making a simple one time change in the hald config.

--
E. Robert Bogusta
 It seemed like a good idea at the time