RE: Is dvd-r not supported in cdrecord?

Thanks very much for your replies, it's a long night and very surprised to find this load of information, running hard to digest.

dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/cdrom output:

INQUIRY:                [HL-DT-ST][DVDRAM GSA-4120B][A117]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
 Mounted Media:         11h, DVD-R Sequential
 Media ID:              CMC MAG. AM3
 Current Write Speed:   8.0x1385=11080KB/s
 Write Speed #0:        8.0x1385=11080KB/s
 Write Speed #1:        4.0x1385=5540KB/s
GET [CURRENT] PERFORMANCE:
 Write Performance:     6.0x1385=8310KB/s@[0 -> 227567]
              ;           8.0x1385=11080KB/s@[227568 -> 2298495]
 Speed Descriptor#0:    02/2298495 R@4.1x1385=5730KB/s W@8.0x1385=11080KB/s
 Speed Descriptor#1:    02/2298495 R@4.1x1385=5730KB/s W@4.0x1385=5540KB/s
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#0h]:
 Media Book Type:       00h, DVD-ROM book [revision 0]
 Legacy lead-out at:    2298496*2KB=4707319808
READ DISC INFORMATION:
 Disc status:           blank
 Number of Sessions:    1
 State of Last Session: empty
 "Next" Track:          1
 Number of Tracks:      1
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
 Track State:           invisible incremental
 Track Start Ad dress:   0*2KB
 Next Writable Address: 0*2KB
 Free Blocks:           2297888*2KB
 Track Size:            2297888*2KB
READ CAPACITY:          0*2048=0

>Correct, but this could also be a result from a drive that does not like the
>media because it is impossible to read the ADIP correctly fro whatever reason.

isn't adip only found only in dvd+r(w)?,

\ A plausible
\explanation would be that a previous burn run
\of the same image converted the media into a
\closed DVD-R with the same size as the image.
after the first two failures I was using -dummy option all the way long with a blank new disk,

also, for your information, I've been successful in blanking the dvd-rw with a blank=fast command, (did'nt dare use =full least perm anent damage), I don't know if this means anything.

\The OP would need to give additonal information as his first mail mentioned
\a medium that was flagged by the drive as Unformated or Blank Media.

what kind of information? I was using blank dvd-r and dvd-rw, the rw is later
written to in cd creator, and then blank using blank=fast, the output seems to
be the same to me, should I post all the results?

\How does the recordable side of the media look
\like ? Is there a visible difference between a
\broad inner ring and a not too narrow outer
\ring ?

the toasted ones do have the ring you described, but after -dummy option, the
disk is kept blank.

\This may also be caused by Gnome options about media, where an option is
\selected to auto-mount certain types of media and the mounter needs to
\check the device every so often and see if there is a media and what
\kind it is, you can get a "seek zero, read" in the middle of a series of
\writes, resulting in an attempt to write over an already-written sector.

After a failed attempt to write, I find the system is longer seeing a blank disk
until I manually remount the disk, so it is not very likely that the system is
continuously checking the drive and causes problems.

\Doesn't "Current: DVD-ROM" mean this DVD-R has already been written to?

Sorry, may be I have the wrong output posted, but other than these lines the
others looks alike to me. the output with cdrecord recognizing dvd-r is here:

cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Assuming -sao mode.
cdrecord: If your drive does not accept -sao, try -tao.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent defaults.
scsidev: '4,0,0'
scsibus: 4 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.34
SCSI buffer size: 64512
Cdrecord-ProDV D-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a66 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2009 J顤g Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
atapi: 1
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 5
Response Format: 2
Capabilities :
Vendor_info : 'HL-DT-ST'
Identifikation : 'DVDRAM GSA-4120B'
Revision : 'A117'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM.
Current: DVD-R sequential recording
Profile: DVD-RAM
Profile: DVD-R sequential recording (current)
Profile: DVD-RW sequential recording
Profile: DVD-RW restricted overwrite
Profile: DVD+RW
Profile: DVD+R
Profile: DVD+R/DL
Profile: DVD-ROM
Profile: CD-R
Profile: CD-RW
Profile: CD-ROM
Profile: Removable Disk
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc-2 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM driver (mmc_dvd).
Driver flags : NO-CD DVD MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: PACKET SAO
Drive buf size : 1114112 = 1088 KB
Drive pbuf s ize: 1966080 = 1920 KB
Drive DMA Speed: 14116 kB/s 80x CD 10x DVD 3x BD
FIFO size : 4194304 = 4096 KB
Track 01: data 6 MB
Total size: 6 MB = 3182 sectors
Current Secsize: 2048
Total power on hours: 0
Blocks total: 2298496 Blocks current: 2298496 Blocks remaining: 2295314
Reducing transfer size from 64512 to 32768 bytes.
Starting to write CD/DVD/BD at speed 8 in dummy SAO mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting dummy write in 9 seconds. 8 seconds. 7 seconds. 6 seconds. 5 seconds. 4 seconds. 3 seconds. 2 seconds. 1 seconds. 0 seconds. Operation starts.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
BURN-Free is OFF.
Starting new track at sector: 0

Track 01: 0 of 6 MB written.cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: n o error
CDB: 2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 10 2A 00 00 0C 30 05 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x30 Qual 0x05 (cannot write medium - incompatible format) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.002s timeout 200s
cdrecord: A write error occured.
cdrecord: Please properly read the error message above.

write track data: error after 0 bytes
Writing time: 24.134s
Average write speed 0.2x.
Fixating...
Fixating time: 0.010s
cdrecord: fifo had 128 puts and 1 gets.
cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 100%.

\5 30 00 INCOMPATIBLE MEDIUM INSTALLED
\5 30 01 CANNOT READ MEDIUM UNKNOWN FORMAT
\5 30 02 CANNOT READ MEDIUM INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT
\5 30 03 CLEANING CARTRIDGE INSTALLED
\5 30 04 CANNOT WRITE MEDIUM UNKNOWN FORMAT
\5 30 05 CANNOT WRITE MEDIUM INCOMPATIBLE FOR MAT
\\5 30 06 CANNOT FORMAT MEDIUM INCOMPATIBLE MEDIUM
\5\ 30 07 CLEANING FAILURE
\5 30 08 CANNOT WRITE APPLICATION CODE MISMATCH
\5 30 09 CURRENT SESSION NOT FIXATED FOR APPEND
\5 30 10 MEDIUM NOT FORMATTED

wow, it looks like from some documents for elites, where can i find it? and
can i fine tune cdrecord so it won't be too specific on medias?

> It may be that this is a problem caused by "hald"

what should i do with hald and O_EXCL ?

much thanks again

Find out how here Use Messenger in your Hotmail inbox