Re: Is dvd-r not supported in cdrecord?

Hi,

chi kwan:
> > Cannot write dvd-r(w) but with dvd+rw is great
> > dvd-r(w) support of the drive/system is alright using CD/DVD creator comes
> > with Gnome

Possibly this uses growisofs as burn engine.
(To verify this: have a look with
    ps -ef | grep growisofs
 while a DVD burn is going on.)

> > CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 00
> > Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
> > Sense Code: 0x30 Qual 0x05 (cannot write medium - incompatible format) Fru
Joerg Schilling:
> It looks like your drive does not like the low quality media you are using.

I have sincere doubt that poor media quality
can cause a 5,30,05 error. It clearly belongs
to a family of complaints about media types
and media states:
5 30 00 INCOMPATIBLE MEDIUM INSTALLED
5 30 01 CANNOT READ MEDIUM  UNKNOWN FORMAT
5 30 02 CANNOT READ MEDIUM  INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT
5 30 03 CLEANING CARTRIDGE INSTALLED
5 30 04 CANNOT WRITE MEDIUM  UNKNOWN FORMAT
5 30 05 CANNOT WRITE MEDIUM  INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT
5 30 06 CANNOT FORMAT MEDIUM  INCOMPATIBLE MEDIUM
5 30 07 CLEANING FAILURE
5 30 08 CANNOT WRITE  APPLICATION CODE MISMATCH
5 30 09 CURRENT SESSION NOT FIXATED FOR APPEND
5 30 10 MEDIUM NOT FORMATTED

With poor media i would rather expect
3 73 03 POWER CALIBRATION AREA ERROR
or
3 0C 00 WRITE ERROR

I interpret "INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT" rather as
unsuitable state of the track that begins at
block address 0.

My theory would be strengthened if indeed
growisofs was the burn engine under the Gnome
program which can reliably burn the media.