Re: solaris cdrecord BH08LS20 drive BD-R problems

Hi,

> 4.75 MBps.
> Maybe not really really slow, but still slow.

At least it is clear that you do not suffer from
USB 1. My BD-R get read about as fast as they get
written. So ~ 9 MB/s would be the right speed.

> The only way to verify this is to traverse through all
> of the files in the iso image (mounted loopback) and
> diff them with files on the blu-ray disc. No thanks.
> I trust that growisofs recorded properly.

But your data transport behaves suspicious.
If there is a problem between you computer
USB controller and the media then it could
show up by readable blocks with altered data.
So i advise to compare both images.

Divide the size of the image file on disk by
2048 to get number_of_blocks. Then do
  dd if=/dev/dsk/c3t0d0s0 \
     bs=2048 \
     count=$number_of_blocks \
  | diff .../image_on_disk -

The media quality itself is out of suspicion
because you could read the whole formatted
capacity without i/o error.

> > CentOS experiment with growisofs
> Yes, but now I need to focus on cdrecord on solaris10.
> How will the CentOS experiment help me with that?

It will make clear whether the drive and its
cabeling is slow or whether the Solaris
computer is to blame.
(I am also not so sure that you will always
have success with growisofs.)

Nevertheless, if growisofs works reliably on
Solaris then i would stay with it. It is the
better expert for DVD and BD anyway.
(But still i have no idea what cdrecord would
do wrong in this special case.)