Re: solaris cdrecord BH08LS20 drive BD-R problems

Hi,

Rob W:
> Seems to be working for growisofs.
>  12058624/15635996672 ( 0.1%) @0.1x, remaining 518:15 RBU 100.0% UBU 50.0%

I hate to spoil your joy of success but this
looks still quite unhealthy.

Formatted BD-R are darn slow in respect to their
size. Nevertheless your speed 0.1x is less than
1 MB per second. Even with poor media you should
get something like 0.4x to 1.0x and it should
vary from report line to report line.

Another suspicious info is UBU 50.0%. That means
the drive is hungry for data or it decided not
to use half of its built-in buffer memory.

Did the burn really last 500 minutes ?
Mine (with an older drive and 2x BD-R) last about
80 minutes formatted or 40 minutes unformatted
(resp. with Streaming bit set in the write
command).

Can it be the drive is attached to a USB 1
controller ? (Those are not even fast enough
for DVD burning.)

I still do not believe that the difference
between success and failure here is in the burn
programs used. I would bet that one can get
similar success from cdrecord and get the known
failures from growisofs if one only tries often
enough.
(We shall not forget the failure with CentOS
 and NeroLinux and the success on MS-Windows.)

A first challenge would be to unplug and replug
the drive and to test whether it still works
with growisofs afterwards.

It would be interesting to see whether growisofs
on the CentOS x86 machine performs better with the
drive. I assume it is a PC not older than five
years and thus equipped with USB 2.