Re: solaris cdrecord BH08LS20 drive BD-R problems

Hi,

Andy Polyakov wrote:
> consequently non-CD-ROM multi-sessioning is not an option.

Pity. This operating system needs help.

>From googling i understand that CD/DVD/BD drives
on Solaris are readable as block devices. (Up
to now i tried xorriso on Solaris only with
disk files. Testers would be highly welcome.)

xorriso can copy files out of ISO images and it
has provisions to scan for ISO "sessions" in
alleged -ROM media which show only one track.
I have widened this feature so that it will
work with disk files and block devices too.

  xorriso -rom_toc_scan force \
          -indev stdio:/dev/sr1 \
          -toc \

(On Linux i have to disable MMC processing
 by prefix "stdio:". On Solaris the lack of
 libburn MMC transport will have the same
 effect.)
On my test BD-R this recognizes all 60 sessions
and loads the last one. Next it could extract
files to hard disk:
          -extract <ISO_path> <disk_path>

It also works with DVD-R (7 sessions), DVD+R
(5 sessions), and an USB stick (22 sessions).
My record holder is this daily backup BD-R:
  libisoburn: UPDATE : Found 307 ISO sessions by scanning 109 MB in 58 seconds
  xorriso : NOTE : Loading ISO image tree from LBA 6978304

(Extreme media need extreme patience. The long
 scan time is due to the poor random access
 performance of my BD drives. The 109 MB consist
 mainly of 307 times 150 sectors of padding.
 One could reduce that by option -no-pad when
 writing new sessions. But it won't give much
 more scan speed.)

If Solaris command mount_hsfs had an option
to address the superblock (like Linux mount
-o sbsector=...) then xorriso could compose
a mount command line which would allow to
access the most recent session via the
Solaris filesystem.
But i found no such option in web versions of
man mount(1) or mount_hsfs(1M).

Anybody has a better Solaris than that ?
(If so, see xorriso option -session_string
 for composing an own mount command.)

Test version of xorriso:
  http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/xorriso-0.4.3.tar.gz
with timestamp 2009.10.07.080042 or newer.