Re: How To Read Volume ID from DVD

> xorriso does not rely on ECMA-168 but on ECMA-119
> plus some SUSP based extensions like Rock Ridge.
> Afaik the mkisofs runs of growisofs do not refer
> to ECMA-168 either.

Yes, today I perused ECMA-168 and realized it specifies a form of
layout different than what my burnt discs conform to (i.e. it uses a
descriptor identifier of CDW02, vs. growisofs's CD001 which is
ECMA-119).

> Although multi-session is not mentioned in
> ECMA-119, we simply fool that standard by help of
> the mount conventions of the operating systems.
> I.e. we do not violate those specs but we do
> things which are not explicitely mentioned there.
> It works fine (unless with tools like volname).

Indeed I have been frustrated trying to find out a description of
multi-session ECMA-119 layout. Is this written up somewhere or nothing
more than having to reverse engineer some de facto standard
implementation (yuck)? (To wit, the Volume Space Size field from the
Primary Volume Descriptor from ECMA-119 doesn't fully account for the
difference between sessions.)

> How about we integrate this into xorriso as a
> command option ?
> The task to find the PVD is not trivial and
> xorriso already can do that. What info would
> you like to extract ?

Well, if you'd be up for it that'd be appreciated. All the textual
fields from the ECMA-119 volume descriptor can be specified in
growisofs (to name one), as well they should but reading them back is
lacking: system identifier, volume identifier, volume set identifier,
publisher identifier, data preparer identifier, application
identifier, copyright file identifier, abstract file identifier,
bibliographic file identifier.