Re: How To Read Volume ID from DVD

Hi,

>   $ growisofs -Z /dev/dvdrw1  -R -J -V volly tmp/
> but although it seems absurd I can't find any way to read this volume
> label back once written.
>  $ volname /dev/dvdrw1
>  CDROM

CDROM is the default volume id of mkisofs.
-V volly should have overridden that.

volname works for me.
Own backup formatted by xorriso:
   $ volname /dev/sr2
   UPDATE_HOME_2008_12_09_115802

Debian CD formatted by mkisofs
   $ volname /dev/sr2
   Debian 4.0 r0 M-A 1

Now mkisofs under control of growisofs:
   $ growisofs -Z /dev/sr2 -R -J -V volly /test/test
   /dev/sr2: reloading tray
   $ volname /dev/sr2
   volly

So your growisofs command seems ok.

One can get the volume id from xorriso too:
   $ xorriso -indev /dev/sr2 2>&1 | grep '^Volume id'
   Volume id    : 'volly'
just to make sure that the local volname has not
gone bad in some way.
Or make an attempt with vanilla tools:
   $ dd bs=1 skip=32808 count=32 if=/dev/sr2 | strings
   volly
(ECMA-119 8.4.6 Volume Identifier (BP 41 to 72)
under the assumption that the PVD is at LBA 16.)

Was the media ejected and reloaded after
writing ?
If not, and if the media held an ISO image before
then the Linux block device drive might have some
old media content cached.