Re: Announcing xorriso-0.4.2

"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> be invited to try the new release 0.4.2 of my program
> xorriso, a ISO 9660 Rock Ridge filesystem manipulator.
>
> It creates, loads, manipulates and writes ISO 9660
> filesystem images with Rock Ridge extensions. Optionally
> it supports hard links, ACLs, xattr, and MD5 checksums.
> xorriso can load the management information of existing
> ISO images and it writes the session results to optical
> media or to filesystem objects.

Hard links are part of the Rock Ridge standard. Did you ever test
your hardlinks (on a OS that suppots hard links) for correctness?
Just as a note: Linux does not support hard links on ISO-9660.

Also please admit that there is no standard for ACLs or xattrs for ISO-9660.

What you implement may be a nice toy but it is irrelevent for real world
usage. What you implement is your private nonstandard proprietary
extension  on ISO-9660 that is based on the data structures of a
POSIX _draft_ that was withdrawn 10 years ago in 1999 and thus never was a
standard. It is not complatible to the ACL and xattr standard that is
implemented on many recent OS and that is described here:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3530.txt

See page 50 ff and page 178.

> Novelties:
>
> * New option -md5, new -as mkisofs option --md5 allow to record in the image
>   MD5 checksums for the whole session and for each single data file.

Mkisofs does not have a -md5 option.

In case that mkisofs will eventually add a -md5 option, I cannot grant that
this option will be compatible to what you implement.....

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)