Re: Blue ray disk writing examples.

Hi,

> i guess i just want to be able to burn data disks with big files on it

Should be no problem in ISO 9660 format.
xorriso can do. From
  http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/man_1_xorriso.html#EXAMPLES
  "Blank media and compose a new ISO image as batch run"

  $ xorriso -outdev /dev/sr2 \
            -blank as_needed \
            -map /home/me/sounds /sounds \
            -map /home/me/pictures /pictures

If the files are larger than 4 GB then you have
to test whether your kernel can correctly read
the contnet of a file with an _odd_ number of
bytes > 4 GB.
E.g. 5000000001 bytes. (This is the most subtle
known bug. Others show just boldly truncated files.)
Do not trust ls -l. Run diff or md5sum.

xorriso can restore such large files. So it dares
to allow them unconditionally.

> Regarding Unicode: I am native russian speaker, so
> utf-8 is kinda big deal for me.

Normally you get as file names in a Rock Ridge
enhanced ISO 9660 image the same byte strings
as on the originating hard disk.
So on the same computer you should see the
same characters on disk and in ISO image.

If your filesystem system was e.g. used with
ISO8859-1 character set, then you could order
conversion by xorriso option
  -out_charset UTF-8
to create an image which suits an environment
where UTF-8 is expected.
My own terminal tells its charset by
  $ locale charmap

> I always attempt to use UDF in burning
> drives anywaym because of file size.

Well, UDF is currently not in xorriso's
repertoire.
You'll have to check out mkisofs or look
for direct UDF read-write support in the
Linux kernel.

The latter should work with BD-RE but rather
not with BD-R.
(I only know what i read in texts like
  /usr/src/linux-*/Documentation/filesystems/udf.txt
  http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/filesystems/udf.txt
)

> That error message about low dma speed could come from xorriso

I don't think so.
(Obviously i am missing a part of this conversation
 but i am not aware that xorriso or its underlying
 libraries would know anything about DMA.)