Re: Announcing xorriso-0.3.6

Hi!

--- Em dom, 22/3/09, Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de> escreveu:

> Writing a CD/DVD is e.g. a privileged operation

At least in Linux writing a CD/DVD is not a priviliged operation, in the sense you don't need to be root in order to write a CD. What is the reason to make a common user task like this to require root privileges?!?!?

> a writing
> library forces the
> calling code to be privileged too.

Sure, but here the flaw seems the OS requiring root privileges for this, doesn't it?

> Cdrecord carefully
> encapsules the privileged
> part and drops privileges when they are no longer needed.
> This cannot be done
> in a library and as a result, you make the system less
> secure.

If that is the only reason, why mkisofs is not implemented in part as a library? You don't need root privileges to create ISO-9660 images, and having a library for this task is very useful. In libisofs we have implemented lots of image manipulation features, very useful for interactive applications (such as xorriso, or GUI apps) that are very hard to deal with in a command-line application such as mkisofs. It is ugly to see that GUI programs like k3b were forced to write their own iso-9660 read code because there was no library to offer that functionality.

Given mkisofs has several features libisofs lacks, such as UDF support, it would be really valuable to have them available in a library.

Cheers
Vreixo

http://br.maisbuscados.yahoo.com