Re: is my drive defect - request for comments

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

> > Looks like you need to learn about CD writing basics.....
> >
> > cdrecord knows how to write any possible sector type in -raw96r mode.
> >

> So are you saying that your documentation is wrong and you don't write
> 2352+96 byte sectors? Or that the standard says drives should not read
> them with the READ command and if so what does that mean?
>
> If you claim that Thomas is wrong, please explain why.

My man page is correct and if you don't understand it, you should search for
a description of the CD data formats.

Nobody requires you to have this kind of knowledge as long as you don't comment
discussions on this topic. Someone like Thomas who claims to have the needed
skills to understand CD writing would need to know the background.

If you still don't understand the problem, I recommend you to think abiout why
the write mode may be called RAW mode.

> > *) hald on Linux must be called harmfull software as it interrupts the write
> > process and makes media unusable. This is because it starts reading from
> > incompletely written CD.
> >

> Again you show that you do not understand how this works, hald may be
> configured to do things which are not appropriate. To blame the software
> for the options is like blaming *your* software because someone chose to
> use the wrong mode on the command line.

Again you show do not understand the background.

Cdrecord exists long before fore hald and if someone creates something like
hald that causes problems in other programs, this is a bug in hald by
definition.

On Linux there are more problems:

-	There is more than one driver to access a single piece of hardware.

-	The drive state checking in hald that is used on Linux is completely
	wrong.

If you today wanted to create something like hald, I would expect that you
contact me first to agree on a _working_ method to implement the features.
This did never happen with hald. Hald on Solaris is much more cooperative than
on Linux. This is why there is no similar problem on Solaris.

-	Solaris makes sure that there is only one driver per hardware

-	On Solaris, hald used the drive state cheking algorithm in the kernel
	that has been introduced in 1992 and that is known to work correctly.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)