Command lines

I am wondering... Where do I execute command lines FROM? my terminal?
There seem to be many things which are assumed a user knows about when a
person reads information as you have provided. And Thank You for this
info! But I do not seem to grok how/where to execute CLs from the GUI.
when I open a terminal, I get something like "myname :>$". Is this the
right place? do I delete this prefix/ Am I suppose to be in a "root"
users group instead of under my user name? I need basic direction. Can
you help? Thank you for your time. src