Thoughts on writing CD from stdin

Is there a way to burn data from a program to a CD without knowing in advance how much data will be written? I have solutions for DVD, don't have a good one for CD. I don't obviously see why CD burning requires the size in advance, but cdrecord and similar seem to want it.

What would be useful is [application]->[burning_software]->media without buffering.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still