Re: growisofs wont write double layer DVDs

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to write double layer DVDs on my TS-L632C DVD burner.
..
/dev/sr0: splitting layers at 1437552 blocks
:-[ SEND DVD+R DOUBLE LAYER RECORDING INFORMATION failed with SK=3h/POWER
CALIBRATION AREA ERROR]: Input/output error

Looks like drive and media do not like each other.

You can try to avoid that special command which
applies only to DVD+R DL. But a power calibration
error is normally a problem between drive and media
which will bite again at the next possible occasion.

One time I got the burner to do something different and give me
:-? L0 Data Zone Capacity is set already
/dev/sr0: "Current Write Speed" is 2.5x1352KBps.
:-[ WRITE@LBA=0h failed with SK=0h/ASC=00h/ACQ=02h]: Input/output error
:-( write failed: Input/output error

Here the splitting of layers seems to have succeeded
in a previous run. But already the first write attempt
fails with an error that is not in the list of MMC-5.

It's a bit annoying to have a burner that's supposed to do double layer
but doesn't do it... :(

Maybe a different brand of media will work.
Maybe the drive simply does not do DVD+R DL
despite marketig promises and its willingness
to try.
It is a confirmed fact that some drive do
write sucessfully to some media. One just
needs a matching combination.

And media price seems not to be a predictor of performance. I've had good luck with no-name DL media from a computer show ($23/100) using several burners, and bad luck with some name brands. Some burners, and importantly some firmware versions, like or don't like the media.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still