Re: Growisofs input cache (get away from dd?)

Hi,

Andy Polyakov wrote earlier:
> > > source code: growisofs -Z /dev/cdrom=/dev/fd/0 < image.iso. Ta-dah...
David Weisgerber:
> I think that using the pipe will create another buffer
> which I want to avoid.

This is not a pipe. It is an inherited file
descriptor.
man bash says:

  Redirecting Input
    Redirection of input causes the file whose name results from the expan-
    sion  of  word  to  be  opened for reading on file descriptor n, or the
    standard input (file descriptor 0) if n is not specified.
    The general format for redirecting input is:
          [n]<word

If you inquire the attributes by fstat(0, &buf) then
you get those of the file, not those of a proxy
object. It is just another way to open the file.