Re: dvd+rw-tools DVD player incompatibility

Fred Wells <fred_wells@charter.net> wrote:

> The problem is that DVDs created with these tools (and some others) are
> not compatible with certain portable DVD players, for example some of those
> installed in automobiles.  However, the very same images created with either
> Nero (Linux) or with the Windows equivalents are % compatible.  Not sure if
> this is a problem with growisofs or the underlying mkisofs/genisoimage.
>
> Of course, I would consider this a failing of the players themselves or the
> media if not for the fact the Nero (Linux) and Windows utilities produce
> working DVDs using the same media.

Why don't you use cdrecord to write the medium?

Cdrecord (I am talking about the original software - not the defective clone
from Debian) writes DVD media in the way that is expected.

Did you use the official mkisofs or did you use the defectove clone from Debian
that is published with most recent Linux distributions?

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)