Re: Issues with cdrsin and USB devices on RHEL5

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

# cdrskin --devices
cdrskin 0.4.8 : limited cdrecord compatibility wrapper for libburn
0  dev='/dev/hdc'  rwrw-- :  'HL-DT-ST'  'DVDRAM GSA-4163B'
# ls /dev/sr*
ls: /dev/sr*: No such file or directory
# ls /dev/sc*
/dev/scd0

By default cdrskin will accept /dev/scdN or /dev/sgM but
finally insists in seeing a /dev/srN.

You may push it towards /dev/scdN by adding option
  drive_scsi_dev_family=scd

The problem will be solved in upcomming version 0.5.0.
(It also affects xorriso which can only be helped
by creating a /dev/sr0 softlink.)

Note that hda is my hard disk, I don't know why cdrskin tries to use it.

libburn would know that it is not a CD drive
after opening it. But it may not open a CD drive
in the progress of burning.

Dumb question, why do you not look at the nice list of CD devices provided by the Linux kernel, and assume that anything not on that list is not going to work for CD uses, no matter what it is, or thinks it is.

/proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still