Re: [cdwrite] Re: WRITE@LBA=3e0c30h failed with SK=3h/WRITE ERROR]: Input/output error (DL)

Rob Bogus wrote:
> Is it intended that butning an 8.2GB image would "just work?" I tried the
> current versions of various software (va36 of cdrecord, I believe) and none
> worked without specifying a break.

Hello - FWIW, it seems like we may have run up against the same thing.
I started a thread a little while ago [1] about burning DL discs, the
upshot being that at the time, I seemed to only be able to
(successfully) burn DL discs if I manually specified a layer break.
I hadn't yet taken the time to try programs other than growisofs and
cdrecord, though, or media other than my current batch.  It seems as
though the manual-layerbreak trick has worked fine thus far, though.
I've also been told it's a media/drive compatibility issue, which could
certainly be the case, though the discs I've burnt with a manual
layerbreak work fine for me.

Anyway, it's interesting that it's not just me it's happening for.
What hardware/media have yuou found you've needed that for?  My drive
identifies as "Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170A" (IDE), and my current DL media
is Memorex 8x (don't have much more information about the media than
that).  Also, did you have that problem with media other than 8x?  When
I had been burning with slower media, I never ran into problems with it.

-CJ

[1] http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2008/04/msg00080.html