Re: Blanking/Formating a BD-RE

If someone can provide me some tool or instructions how to do it I could try it on another PC with BD-RE drive.

If the only goal is to render media unmountable, then, as Thomas suggested, you should find a way to nullify beginning of media. One way is to 'dd if=/dev/zero bs=1k count=64 | growisofs -Z /dev/cdrom=/dev/fd/0'. If you ought to nullify the whole thing, e.g. for privacy reasons, then 'growisofs -Z /dev/cdrom=/dev/zero' would do. However!!! As it's time consuming procedure it's probably more appropriate to spend this time on 'dvd+rw-format -format=full /dev/cdrom', because it will also verify media for eventual defects. On the other hand if current data-set is much less than media capacity and you want to nullify only this data, you can save time by figuring out how large is the data-set and adjusting count in above mentioned dd command accordingly. For example take "1k-blocks" value from 'df -k /mnt/cdrom' output and feed it as count to dd. A.