Re: Doesn't wodim close disk ?

Gregoire Favre wrote:
On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 01:20:48PM +0100, Thomas Schmitt wrote:

Hello :-)

I have used cdrecord-proDVD on DVD-RW and
on DVD+RW without unexpected problems.
Since about 1.5 years, cdrecord from Joerg's
sources offers the proDVD capabilities.

Same for me on my old burner, but I got tired of changing the key for
cdrecord-proDVD and switched to growisofs.

I just find it more convenient to use growisofs with multi-session. Has nothing to do with how well it works, just an easier to use user interface.

I would rather bet that cdrecord -dao is
able to burn a DVD+R which is equivalent
to one burned by growisofs -dvd-compat.

And growisofs works on drives which lack DOA capabilities. cdrecord tells me, correctly, that the device won't do -dao, but it doesn't burn the DVD. I don't recall having problems with using -sao, but I usually use DVD-R as well, so my experience is limited, although I do sometimes use DVD+R for various reasons.
But i have to confess that i never tried
it.

I did with old source at the begining of cdrecord with DVD support, at
that time one should still need to specify the size of the session
before burning, which I thought was really a non sense as the program
could easyly calculate it for us.

I read the new manual from cdrecord and it seems it hasn't changed in
that aspect.

but I would take a RW media ;-)

DVD+RW are a completely different game.
Other command sequences, other pitfalls.

I do wrote a media using cdrecord now and the result was just perfect.
I attach the script I used to do the burning.
The DVD was perfectly readable under OSX.

Good to know.

Final note: one burner which doesn't support DOA is
Vendor_info    : 'PIONEER '
Identifikation : 'DVD-RW  DVR-104 '
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R
--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still