Re: BD-R formatting help

Hi,

> This is a bad advise as it will not work with UDF enabled.

Good point. growisofs should watch out for
that mkisofs option before deciding to do
the 32 sector life saver offset.

> BTW: The reason why I call the "multi-session" method used by growisofs
> a dirty trick is because it destroys the first session in case you append
> another "session".

xorriso demonstrates that the 32 block offset
of the first ISO-session is a fine remedy.
It can show the ISO-sessions via option -toc on all
media to which it can write multiple ISO-sessions.

If you write a first DVD+RW ISO-session by xorriso then
you can add further ISO-sessions by growisofs without
spoiling that feature.

> BTW: what advantage do you expect from using your "xorrisofs" instead of
> mkisofs?

>From man xorriso, "Overview of features:" i deem
the following not present in mkisofs but well
usable under control of growisofs:

  Renames or deletes file objects in the ISO image.
  Changes file properties in the ISO image.
  Updates ISO subtrees incrementally to match given disk subtrees.

Also i believe it has a more comprehensive default
mapping of input paths to ISO image paths.

It does a better job with copying directory
attributes when creating the ISO directories of
a given path.

It can cut out pieces from oversized disk files
and map them to ISO files without needing buffer
space.

It addresses Andy's concerns about files larger
than 4 GB and the questionable quality of reader
software when it comes to multi-extent files:
xorriso option -split_size maps a regular file
on disk to a directory in the ISO image and places
the pieces with descriptive file names into that
directory.

Finally it offers an alternative to existing
reader software by being able to restore to disk
what it wrote to ISO image.
If you hit a kernel bug with ISO level 3, then
xorriso will retrieve your file anyway.
If you got a directory full of split files,
xorriso will re-unite them on disk.

To avoid confusion:
xorriso is mainly intended to integrate ISO 9660
Rock Ridge multi-session with CD/DVD/BD burning.
There are good reasons for a closer coupling.
But it is also ready to serve as ISO formatter
for any other burn program.
(And as burn program for any other formatter.)