Re: BD-R formatting help

Hi,

Andy Polyakov wrote:
> BD-R[E] format capacity descriptors are more like guidelines.
> Specification permits you to specify any value between minimum and maximum
> Indeed, here is output for media formatted with -ssa=4G:

Thanks for the info.
It will be very interesting to explore BD-R as
soon as i get my hands on a drive and a few media.

Is my impression right that their sequential
personality is much like DVD+R ?

Andy Polyakov wrote:
> This is wrong understanding.

My understanding from specs is that it is Defect
Management. I.e. the drive will write a portion
of its buffer to media. Then it will checkread as
long as the data is still in the buffer. If a read
error occurs, then it will take relocation measures
and write the content again from buffer to Spare Area.
The checkread usually cuts write speed by half.

This (my) understanding of MMC-5 makes me wonder
why Matt's burner worked around the scratch rather
than running into it and to replace the casualties
by spare sectors.
Did it examine the blank media for damages ?

Matt: Did you scratch before or after formatting ?