Re: Weird problem with RHEL5 isofs driver when using mkisofs -x --exclude options

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 14:57:18 +0200, Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de
(Joerg Schilling) wrote:

>Giulio Orsero <giulioo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That very same iso image, when mounted on Linux, would:
>> - show uncorrect perms/timestamp if mounted on RHEL5
>> - show correct perms/timestamp if mounted on RHEL3
>
>The incorrect perms are a result of the bugs in the mkisofs version that comes
>with Redhat.

Actually I was always talking about the permissions/timestamp on the test
directory "dir1", these were incorrect even when the iso was created with
mkisofs a42.
But I was not saying this was a mkisofs bug, since if I transferred the very
same iso image on a RHEL3 system, it would then see "dir1" with correct
data.

>> I'd think mkisofs would produce the very same output if I tell it to exclude
>> something that is not there, basically a noop.
>
>They did change the filesystem implementation in the kernel.
Ok.
So this would explain why, given 1 iso image, RHEL3 sees things fine, while
RHEL5 does not.

>In general, your problem suffers from two reasons:
>1)	The filesystem does not return ".". and ".." first with readdir()
>2)	The deprecated -x option incorrectly excludes "." and ".."
>Please check again with the following patch, it should then work even without
>-find:

I can confirm that with the patch the permissions of "dir1" are ok even
without "-find".

Thanks.
--
giulioo@pobox.com