Re: cdrecord -scanbus problem

Bill Davidsen wrote:
Joerg Schilling wrote:
lists.cdwrite@duinheks.nl wrote:

Hallo,

When I run cdrecord -scanbus as root I get:root@duinheks:~# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a41 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
1995-2008 Jâ? rg Schilling
cdrecord: Permission denied. Cannot open '/dev/hda'. Cannot open or use SCSI
driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

What's happening here? My system is built from SlackWare 12.1 and
/dev/hda is a normal IDE hard disk.

You need to run cdrecord with root privileges!

Did you read what he wrote? He clearly says "as root" in the very paragraph you quoted. This can be done by reading ALL of what he wrote and understanding what it says.
You did not do that...
This can be done by calling it as root or by making it suid root.

You did not do that.......

And it appears the original poster did not report the fact about running as root, but rather forced the binary to run as "bin" by making it setuid to that id, regardless of the login user. Since there was no way to know that, I think any assumption that the program was NOT running as root was correct only as a stroke of luck, rather than a feat of paranormal powers. There is a saying I can't quite remember, something like "if you misread the map you may still reach your destination if the map is wrong." It sounded better in the original German, which I haven't heard since I was a small child.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still