Re: Blu-Ray, Java, free software

Hi,

> I found this note on InfoWorld today, linking Blu-Ray, Java, and a free
> software repository.

I followed the links and read:

> "So, if you want to create a Blu-ray disc,
>  you'll need to write some Java code."

This seems to be about the clickicolorful
stuff you can do with a Bluray reader drive
and your tv set.

I've recently read an article in german mag
"c't" which says it was pity that the well
defined multi-media stuff of HD-DVD passes
the way while the "more than a hundred permutations"
to represent interactive video on Bluray
persist.

I understand Java is needed for playing some of
the 101 permutations. So i would not expect a
computer BD drive to provide a builtin JVM
(or a graphics board or a tv outlet).

But there's indeed a computer inside
a drive which runs the "firmware".
And we are quite at the mercy of this computer
every time we burn or read some media.

> if there is really a JVM in a Blu-Ray player,
> would it be possible for someone
> to hide a virus in a Blu-Ray disk, such that it would do something
> unpleasant when a disk was mounted or played.

Who lets run foreign software on the own
computer must bear the consequences.
I would see the same problems as with enabling
Java and Javascript on a web browser.