mkisofs "-graft-points" not working?

After installing the recent cdrtools (a35), I started a backup script which writes all the backup information in a file and then creates an ISO image thus:
 mkisofs -o $DATE.iso -RU -graft-points -path-list $DATE.filelist

The run aborted saying that files had the same Rockridge name. After some investigation, it appears that the conflict was caused by ignoring the graft points and putting every file in the root of the image instead of using the subdirectory information. The man page for mkisofs indicates that graft-points still is intended to function as I have been using it for years.

The symptom is that a graft point like "USRLCL=/usr/local" no longer creates a subdirectory called USRLCL, but rather puts the tree starting with /usr/local directly in the root of the ISO image. Needless to say, this change doesn't qualify as an enhancement with me.

Just a warning, started quite a while ago, perhaps as long ago as a26. I'm sure that there's some obscure option to make graft-points work as they used to, and I'll be told to read the manual (as usual), and it's all a kernel problem (as usual), or it's my hardware (as I was told last week), but at the moment mkisofs doesn't have working graft-points.

Simple test:

posidon:davidsen> cd /tmp
posidon:davidsen> mkdir AA BB
posidon:davidsen> touch AA/temp
posidon:davidsen> touch BB/temp
posidon:davidsen> mkisofs -o x.iso -RU -graft-points DirAA=AA DirBB=BB
Warning: creating filesystem that does not conform to ISO-9660.
Setting input-charset to 'UTF-8' from locale.
Unknown file type (unallocated) AA/.. - ignoring and continuing.
Using temp000 for  /temp (temp)
mkisofs: Error: 'BB/temp' and 'AA/temp' have the same Rock Ridge name 'temp'.
mkisofs: Unable to sort directory
posidon:davidsen>

Trying without graft-points it seems to work:

posidon:davidsen> tree -d
.
|-- AA
`-- BB

2 directories
posidon:davidsen> mkisofs -o y.iso -RU .
Warning: creating filesystem that does not conform to ISO-9660.
Setting input-charset to 'UTF-8' from locale.
Unknown file type (unallocated) ./.. - ignoring and continuing.
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 817
Total directory bytes: 4586
Path table size(bytes): 30
Max brk space used 0
177 extents written (0 MB)
posidon:davidsen> isoinfo -l -i y.iso

Directory listing of /
d---------   0    0    0       2048 Apr 17 2008 [     23 02] .
d---------   0    0    0       2048 Apr 17 2008 [     23 02] ..
d---------   0    0    0       2048 Apr 17 2008 [     24 02] AA
d---------   0    0    0       2048 Apr 17 2008 [     25 02] BB

Directory listing of /AA/
d---------   0    0    0       2048 Apr 17 2008 [     24 02] .
d---------   0    0    0       2048 Apr 17 2008 [     23 02] ..
----------   0    0    0          0 Apr 17 2008 [    -16 00] temp

Directory listing of /BB/
d---------   0    0    0       2048 Apr 17 2008 [     25 02] .
d---------   0    0    0       2048 Apr 17 2008 [     23 02] ..
----------   0    0    0          0 Apr 17 2008 [    -17 00] temp
posidon:davidsen>

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still