Re: Announcing cdrskin-0.4.4

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,

>  > So, basically, using streaming i/o will compensate "for free" (I mean
>  > you get exactly the same result on disc as not using streaming) the
>  > slow down caused by defect management?
>
>  It depends on the number and pattern of bad
>  spots on the media.
>
>  No bad spots will make  stream_recording=on
>  the winner.
>
>  A few bad spots with fast defect repair will
>  make stream_recording=off better, because you
>  do not have to repeat the burn run and your
>  verification.
>
>  Many bad spots or slow defect repair will make
>  defect management uneconomic. In that situation
>  it would probably be better to have a quick failure
>  and to retry with better media.

What's the difference between "fast defect repair" and "slow defect repair"?

So far I've understood that:
- if media has defect repair (DVD-RAM, BD-RE) it will go half the nominal speed.
- if you enable stream i/o somehow the speed you get is the nominal one
- AFAIK stream i/o will not disable defect repair, so this protection
will still be active
- some firmware/media may not accept stream i/o

So, if firmware/media accept stream i/o, what would be a good reason
not to use it?

Thanks

--
giulioo@pobox.com